Friday, July 2, 2010

Home from the Hospital

July 2, 2010

Hi friends and loved ones!

I just wanted to thank each and every one of you for all of your prayers regarding my back surgery! As you know, my surgery was on June 24th - and the entire week before I spent meeting with my "team" of surgeons for pre-op appointments. As taxing as it was then, now that the surgery is over, I realized that all of that prep-work was SO worth it.

God was really with me! My surgery was supposed to last 5-7 hours (without complications) and it went so smoothly that it only lasted 4 HOURS! (Praise God!) Then, I was not supposed to be released from the hospital until Wednesday (of this week), but I "met" all of my PT (physical therapy) and OT (occupational therapy) goals early, so they released me on Tuesday. Believe it or not, even after having major back surgery, my doctor had me sitting up in a chair, standing and walking (a few feet) all THE DAY AFTER SURGERY!!!!!! He just kept making me do more and more as the days went on (I typically saw an OT/PT at least 3 x a day) - and the more he asked of me, the more my body was miraculously able to do! The funniest thing (because you HAVE TO find the humor in this somewhere) is that I, a young 29-year-old, now need a walker - ha (hopefully for just a few months...)!

It is SO good to be home, too! Nurse Gage, I mean my fantastic husband, has truly humbled me with his patience, kindness and love. (Sandy, Chuck, Ed & Karen - you raised a FINE young man!!!)

I thank each of you for your visits, phone calls, cards, flowers and get-well gifts. I strongly believe that it was your love and "positivity" that is helping me have such a strong and blessed recovery. I thank God with all of my heart for bringing each of you into my life!

I will continue to keep you posted as I can (but please don't be offended if I don't email right away - sitting at the computer is not so easy for me right now...). But, please feel free to call the house or Gage (or my cell) if you want.

Much Love and Thanks,
Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment