Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Email and The Advocate

In response to my last blog, Gage and I agreed, after much thought, consideration and prayer that we would make one more attempt for me to stay at The Facility. However, we decided that in order to do so, things needed to change… As you saw from my last blog, I was dealing with a LOT and not getting much in return. After making the decision to attempt to stay at The Facility, I wrote the following email to the Team:


Dear Team,

I want to start by thanking each and every one of you for the hard work that you have ALL done to help me make improvements in my body and to teach me about what my body needs to be in less pain. For that, I am extremely grateful!

Over the past several months, there have been many misunderstandings about what I personally "expect" from The PT Facility. I'd like to clarify. When the VP/Chronic Pain Counselor (CPC) first suggested that we have regular Team Meetings last July, he was speaking my language! I'm a special ed teacher by trade and that was what we DID! When the Team suggested to have The Exercise Guri work with me on exercises, my main PT be my Case Manager and help with pain management, The President evaluate me, the VP will also continue to be my Pain Counselor and the Office Manager be my Communication Liaison, it sounded like it would work! However, since we have tried this "team approach" for the last six months, we have all found that overall, it is not working for The Facility; therefore, it is not working for me, the patient.

The hardest part about having so many people on the Team is that there is a great deal of miscommunication and additional time required. When I taught, I dealt with the same things! It is TAXING. And, I want to thank you all for the efforts that you have made to do this for as long as you have.

What seems to be the case now is that this is just not the right approach for The Facility anymore. After talking to almost everyone, I am hearing that something needs to change. I agree that my expectations are part of that. I hear "Let's have Team Meetings! Let's get a crew to fix Stephanie!" and I am ALL on board! However, I recognize that the office cannot sustain that practice for long...

I spoke to the VP and my Case Manager (CM) last week. It was suggested that we slim down the team. It was then suggested that I ONLY see my CM and The Guru for PT, including reevals. Is this possible? I know that this may change the consistency with the reevaluation data, but, from what I am hearing from the staff, the Team Approach is not working for The Facility anymore, and I, as the patient, am suffering. The VP and President trusted my PT last August to deem her my Case Manager. I trust her with my treatment. I also see her and The Guru every week, so I believe that the communication piece will be easier on them. I was also told that every PT at the Facility is individually licensed & highly qualified; therefore, any PT can fill out the Guardian paperwork and complete the individual evals.

I just want to make it clear to everyone that the only reason I had the expectations that I would work with a Team was because it was suggested to me. My expectations can be flexible! I am still an appreciative patient. That being said, I am still a patient in need, and I just want what is best for my body. Since it has been recommended that we try a new approach, I would like to request that the Team considers this and we see what happens in regards to my rehabilitation.

I know that the staff will need to discuss it - but I thought it important to hear from the patient that I want to stay at The Facility for my PT services, I want to make this easier for the staff and I personally just want to focus on my treatment (not on all of the "team stuff" and emails). I want my experience at The Facility to be better - for everyone.

Thank you,
Stephanie


I wrote and sent the email last Friday afternoon, knowing that several of my Team members do not work on Friday and; therefore, may not get to the email before I had my two PT appointments on Monday. I went to The Facility with butterflies in my stomach. As much as I believed in my request and wanted to remain at The Facility, I only wanted to focus on my TREATMENT and RECOVERY – not on all of the political drama, emails and meetings. Was that too much to ask?

Someone close to me warned me that my email could be taken the wrong way – BECAUSE OF ITS LENGTH. It was recommended that I write shorter email; that when a health care provider (or any professional) receives a “long letter” they immediately feel threatened and takes a defensive stance. Do you agree?

I personally believe that the word "advocate" means that you have to be a little pushy... That is never the advocate’s intent, but WHY would you need an advocate if everyone did everything right and you had nothing to worry about or fight for? I say this because I was accused, by a loved one, of being "offensive" (like in soccer - moving fiercely towards the “other side,” not that I “offended” anyone – on purpose, anyways) with my approach to The Facility. What do you think?


Even more so, if this were YOUR body, YOUR treatment, YOUR only known means to pain release and rehabilitation, would you “fight” or would you sit back and do what you are told – even if your gut is telling you that something needs to change and the pain is actually getting WORSE?

Stay tuned for my next blog to learn how The Facility responded to my email…

No comments:

Post a Comment