Sunday, May 6, 2012

FAQs #2: Why Spinal Fusion Surgery?

FAQ #2: Why did I have surgery in the first place?

I was diagnosed with Scoliosis when I was 13 years old. Certain types of spinal deformity, such as Scoliosis, are commonly treated with Spinal Fusion Surgery. Scoliosis is an “S” shaped curvature of the spine that sometimes occurs in children and adolescents (adults do not "out-grow" Scoliosis). Fusion is typically recommended for very large curves or for smaller curves that are getting worse.


I was diagnosed with Chronic Pain Syndrome in 1998, when I was 18 years old, due to the persistent pain in my low back. From 1998 – 2005 I saw physical therapist after physical therapist to help relieve the pain. When PT wasn’t enough, I saw a chiropractor for three additional years. Nothing seemed to help. The pain was always there.

In June of 2009, my (then future) mother-in-law suggested that I get an MRI. The results revealed that I have Degenerative Disc Disease. For a year, I saw the Pain Doc. We started with cortisone injections. They didn't work. Then, I saw a Radiologist and received 3 rounds of Epidural Steroid Injections. No difference in pain. I was prescribed medication after medication which only masked the pain. The Pain Doc then prescribed another round of physical therapy. I went dutifully every week for months. After no significant changes were made, he recommended that I consult with an Orthopedic Surgeon

In October of 2010, I saw The Surgeon for the first time. He sent me to yet another physical therapist. After working diligently with her for months, The Surgeon finally agreed to a Pre-Operation (diagnostic) Procedure called a Discogram which would determine if I was a candidate for Spinal Fusion Surgery. Lucky for me, I was...

The rest is history…

For more information, look at my blog titled: "For You Doctors Out There" in my Blog Archive (July 5, 2010).

Still wondering if another surgery can “fix” me? Keep your eyes peeled for the next blog!

Fun Stuff:
I’m still working on my BRAND NEW WEBSITE, so keep your fingers crossed and ideas coming!

2 comments:

  1. Brand new website...what you got cooking?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you asked (big smile here)! I'm creating a website that offers a little more than a blog (info that can help those effected by chronic conditions or invisible diseases) and to get people excited about my book. Very cool stuff here! Got any suggestions?

      Delete