Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Don't Worry, Be Happy!

"Don't wish me happiness - I don't expect to be happy, it's gotten beyond that somehow. Wish me courage and strength and a sense of humor - I will need them all." - Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Someone asked the other day, “Are you happy?”


Are Gage and I happy that we have a disability? No. Are we happy that I endure pain daily? No. Are we happy that our lifestyle has drastically changed due to the drop in our household income? No. Are we happy that we are not allowed the simplicity of life without chronic pain? No.



But… Are we happy people? YES! We have much to be thankful for and we give thanks daily for the love in our life, the friendships that brighten our hearts, the provision from Our Father, and the little things that make us laugh ALL throughout the day – even during days that are filled with pain or discomfort.

For years, Gage has said to me “Happy Day!” For years, I assumed that this phrase was Gage’s way of saying, “Have a good day!” I was wrong. Months ago, on a lazy Saturday morning, Gage said the familiar words to me, “Happy Day!” I smiled and scooted closer to him, resting my head upon his shoulder. The night before had been a battle for us: The Dodsons vs. The Disability. Thankfully, my pain usually reaches its peak just before bedtime and, thankfully, the morning usually brings to me a new, reduced-pain day.



“Happy Day!” Gage said again, sincerely and with a smile. “Happy Day,” I repeated. Gage looked at me with a suddenly serious expression. “Do you know why I say ‘Happy Day?” he asked. “No,” I told him, speaking honestly. “I say ‘Happy Day’ because every day that I wake up next to you is a day that makes me happy.” I never knew the meaning behind his made-up phrase, and his words melted my heart.

When Gage and I had been dating for six months, he asked me, “When do you think it is too soon to get engaged?” We knew that we were meant to spend the rest of our lives together, but we did not want to rush into anything. On the night of our six-month Anniversary (yes, we celebrated each and every month that we were together), after taking me to dinner, Gage took me to a jewelry store and we picked out a promise ring. Gage is a traditional man. My father gave my mother a promise ring when they were dating, and Gage wanted to honor the tradition of my family. He also wanted to ask my father for my hand in marriage before we got engaged. However, we were so in love that he could not wait to put a ring on my finger, so that night we picked out the first piece of jewelry that would symbolize our lifelong commitment to each other.



When Gage and I discussed my soon-to-be married name and initials, S.A.D. (Stephanie Anne Dodson), I grew scared, wondering if we discovered a sign that pointed to how our life would become. However, I quickly realized that the only sign that I saw was that I would be a fool to walk away from the love of my life because my initials spelled something… sad. Without a doubt, I knew that Gage was my future husband. Without a doubt, I knew that Gage was the man who would stand by my side, through good times and bad; the man who would raise my future children and who would help make my life better. Without a doubt, I knew that I would do anything for Gage and that being with him was a gift from God.

When the promise ring came in, Gage surprised me by having it engraved. On the inside of the ring, he wrote, “Be SAD.” We found humor in the irony of my initials, for we both knew that there would be nothing SAD about our life together.

When someone dear to us asked, “Are you happy?” Gage responded, “Yes! I am very happy!” He meant it. He still means it, and so do I.



I realize that my last few blogs have encouraged friends and loved ones to reach out to Gage and me for both physical and emotional support. Today, I want to explain to you that even though we have a difficult life, our house is filled with laughter, we praise God every day for countless blessings in our life, we celebrate the improvements that my body has made since PT Bootcamp began this summer, we hold on tightly and with joy to the love that we share and to the love that satisfies our emotional and spiritual needs. We ARE happy.



It is important to recognize that a person can face challenges – even a lifetime of challenges – and still find reasons to smile. Life is filled with choices. Gage and I may face more tests and trials than the average thirty-something-year-old couple, but we choose to look for the good in our life and to NOT focus on the bad. When times are hard, we reach out to one another – and to our family and friends – for encouragement. We want to be that encouragement to our family and friends, too! We want to share our happiness!

I may be S.A.D., but I would not ask for it to be any other way.



Matthew 5 – The Sermon on the Mount (ESV)
1 Seeing the crowds, he went up on the mountain, and when he sat down, his disciples came to him.

The Beatitudes

2 And he opened his mouth and taught them, saying:
3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4 “Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.
5 “Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.
6 “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.
7 “Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.
8 “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.
9 “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons[a] of God.
10 “Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11 “Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. 12 Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

2 comments:

  1. Amen Sister - SAD - Sassy, Amazing, Demure.

    You put into words how we tried to live with Ryan's disability with happiness and gratitude.
    I'm wondering if a therapy bike like his might be something nice for Spring and Summer. Hmmmm, he enjoyed tooling around in it. I wonder if one made for you would allow you to enjoy biking with your Honey and exercising in a more comfortable way. If so I can look into details on how to accomplish this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy! I love the new acronym for SAD! It is true, if I say so myself! I'm glad that this blog spoke to you! I hoped it would... I thought that I understook what you all went through with Ryan, but now this understanding and "knowing" is on SUCH a deeper level! I tell you what, my years in your house really did help me prepare for my own life now, and I am thankful for every second I have ever spent with you guys! The therapy bike sounds GREAT! My PT wants me to try the bike Gage bought me years ago for my birthday. She seems to think I can ride it. If that doesn't work, we'll talk - since you know a guy! Thanks for always being there and looking out for me! I love you!

      Delete