Monday, July 23, 2012

Checks From God

“Blessed Be Your Name”
Matt Redman

“Blessed be Your name
When the sun's shining down on me
When the world's all as it should be
Blessed be Your name

Blessed be Your name
On the road marked with suffering
Though there's pain in the offering
Blessed be Your name…

Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your name…

You give and take away
You give and take away
My heart will choose to say
Lord, blessed be Your name”

They played this song in church a few weeks ago, and my heart swelled. Every time we sang the words, “You give and take away,” the last three years of my life flashed before me. We all know what has been taken away from me. But, did you know that I have been blessed as well?


First of all, I am coming to terms with my disability. Just as important, I believe that my loved ones are coming to terms with my condition as well. This is SUCH a blessing to me! The numbers of people who are willing to make accommodations to allow me to visit with them more often and with less pain are incredible. This makes life so much better.


Secondly, I am definitely being provided for! With a LOT of research, I finally understand the Disability System. Starting in September, I will be receiving partial benefits from not one but TWO Disability Providers. I am also awaiting approval from a third. Additionally, I am applying for a Student Loan Disability Discharge Program. Once I am approved, my loans are monitored for three more years. After the 3-year monitoring process is complete, then the balance of my loan – from the initial date of my disability – is FORGIVEN.

Thirdly, Gage and I are comfortably learning to living within our means. There have been times since I stopped working when we have felt like we were broke. But, we never once had to borrow a penny, put an item on the credit card or postpone a payment. We never went without food; we never risked the roof over our head. We put our money where our faith is and never went a month without tithing or giving to charity. For this, we feel very accomplished and our new lifestyle has become less and less of a sacrifice and more like a new way of living. It is like a debt-diet. Just like any nutritionist will tell you that “There is no such thing as a diet, just an alternative way of life,” I believe that any financial advisor would tell you the same thing about spending and saving money.


My mom taught me the phrase “Checks from God” when I was young. She used the term to refer to those unexpected extras that greet you when you least expect it. Whether it was a refund from an over-paid bill, a belated Birthday check or an At-A-Boy gift card from your boss, these generous surprises were always acknowledged and a special “Thank You” was raised in prayer. I believe that the two Disability Providers are my monthly Checks from God. This is also true for the Disability Discharge Program that I found and for the endless opportunities that arise where we are able to add to our Nest Egg. We are often surprised with gifts that we receive in the mail from our loved ones, for the $20 items that we sell on Amazon or the unexpected gas that a neighbor puts in our car (yes, this has happened!).


I could focus on everything that has been taken away from me since I first threw out my back three years ago on July 24, 2009. I could focus on everything that I do not buy when I go shopping or all of the extras that we have cut from our budget and lifestyle. But instead, I want to look at everything that has been given to me. Every time I post a blog, I am humbled by the influx of support that you show me. Not a single email, comment or Facebook post goes unnoticed. Thank you for being a part of the blessings in my life!

2 comments:

  1. Way to go Steph! This blog entry had tears swelling up in my eyes! We are so blessed too! Continue with your gift of courage!
    Love, Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so proud of you! The piles of paperwork, hours of research and endless phone calls are beginning to pay off. The lessons you learned, and will pass on to others, will affect so many lives. You are still a teacher, Steph, it's just that the content has changed. All my love, Steph

    ReplyDelete