Thursday, April 12, 2012

Appointments and Prayers

Whenever I see a doctor for the first time in months, my mother-in-law (aka Dr. Mom) recommends that I bring with me an update. That way, the doctor has – IN WRITING – changes since the last visit.


I have an appointment with my Pain Doctor on Friday (aka TOMORROW). Dr. Mom also suggested that I have an agenda of sorts before each appointment. At this appointment, I plan on discussing:
- How can my pain be better managed?
- What are my next steps or options in the Disability process?


One thing that I have mentioned, but not talked much about in this blog is my Vocational Rehab Program. Last August, The PT Facility wanted me to, by NOW, have a regular schedule at the Facility that included daily, 4-5 hour exercises and activities that would get me ready to return to the classroom. Unfortunately, as you know from the Reeval Results, that is not an option for me. However, I have tried several other forms of Vocational Rehab this year.


In my update, I included this information:
Vocational Rehab Program: Instead of increased exercise & OT at The Facility (as suggested in August 2012), the PT Team determined that it would be in Stephanie’s best interest to research other occupations & attempt various volunteer positions to determine capability and pain threshold.
January 2012 – Current: Unpaid “Internship” with Marketing Company: flexible schedule; attend meetings 1-2 x month (1-3 hours); training on computer (1-3 hour sessions); work on writing projects from home as able (hours vary); research topics; write book on chronic pain.
August 2011 – Current: Attempt at being a class “room mother” (volunteer teacher's assistant/secretary); only capable of grading papers/etc. from HOME; not able to complete tasks at the school; 2 x month (1 hour each session).
September 2011 – Current: Lead Women’s Prayer Group. Leader Position. Designs lessons & itinerary. Facilitates meeting. In charge of writing & sending monthly Newsletter. (Attending the group itself causes pain due to the length of meetings (3 hours); can manage only 1 x month/started 2 x month and had to decrease meetings; can produce Newsletter at home.)
August 2011 – December 2012: Tried volunteering at a local elementary school on several occasions; working with children in the classroom setting; 1-3 hour sessions. Increased pain after each attempt.
October 2011: Special Education Advocate; helped parents of children with special needs understand their rights and options for services for their children; mostly communicated through email; worked from home; unable to attend school meetings due to Disability restrictions.

After reading my update to my Pain Doctor, I felt rather accomplished. I HAVE tried several avenues for employment. I have not been one of “those people” who have sat at home, sucking the country dry of its resources and begging for money so that I do not have to work a 9-5 job. However, I did get discouraged, because most of the “jobs” I tried, I had to stop or decrease due to the amount of increased pain that each caused!


In the blog: 21 Months Post-Surgery: Where Am I Now? You told me to follow my dream as an author. You encouraged me to work on RECOVERY and you supported me in my work towards bringing Awareness to others about Chronic Pain Conditions and other Invisible Diseases.

Please pray for me as I attend this appointment with my Pain Doctor on Friday – and as I endure another PT evaluation on Tuesday, April 17th. Please pray that my body can handle each appointment, that God uses the Doctors’ Hands to heal my tortured body and that Gage and I get positive answers regarding my disability situation.


I’ll keep you up-to-date on the appointments to come so STAY TUNED!

No comments:

Post a Comment